Dylan O’Brien almost died while filming Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the final installment of the trilogy. Will Dylan return to the scene of his nearly fatal accident? Should he continue acting in the film?
Maze Runner: The Death Cure reports of Dylan’s injuries were deliberately minimized. On March 18, writer James Dashner tweeted a report that O’Brien’s injuries were non-life-threatening and that he would be fine. Cinema Blend still has the tweet.
“I just want to let everyone know that yes, Dylan was hurt, but that he’s going to be okay. Not life threatening in any way.”
Dylan O’Brien was very seriously injured, though, and Dylan has missed six months of work. It has since been revealed by American Assassin producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, in an interview with Hollywood Reporter, that O’Brien’s accident was very nearly fatal.
“He’s all better. It was more than disconcerting. I never saw him in his worst form, but it was described to me. It was really scary. He came close to dying, I’m pretty sure. It was enough to shake your core.”
The Maze Runner: The Death Cure accident has been the source of conflicting reports from the moment it happened. TMZ first reported that Dylan had been hit by a car and was badly hurt. Later sources indicated that O’Brien had just fallen off some set equipment, and he would be fine in a few weeks.
Dylan O’Brien though was obviously badly injured. Not only has it taken him six months to recover, but the Huffington Post discovered what actually happened.
Dylan was filming a Maze Runner: The Death Cure scene where he was supposed to climb from the hood of one car to the back of another while the cars were in motion. Huffington Post was able to access the records of Canada’s WorkSafeBC, a government organization that ensures safety in the workplace which described the accident.
“The transition from the trailing vehicle to the leading vehicle was changed to be done in one sequence instead of two. When the change was made to the sequence there was no meeting held to review the changes with all involved.”
Dylan O’Brien is described as “the worker” in all the documentation. Dylan’s name was redacted to protect his privacy.
“The sequence now relied upon driver co-ordination and performance to keep the vehicles close enough during the transition, as the worker making the transition would end up rigged to the trailing vehicle but physically riding on the back of the leading vehicle. On preliminary investigation, it appears that the trailing vehicle slowed prematurely.”
Considering the nature of Dylan O’Brien’s accident, it is completely understandable that he would be seriously injured. It sounds like he would have been dragged behind a moving car.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure was shot in Canada, and at the time, they had reportedly not cleared their worksite correctly with the proper authorities. WorkSafeBC found the makers of MazeRunner allegedly at fault in the accident.
Huffington Post summarized the statement.
“British Columbia’s work-safety agency says a film production company “failed” to ensure the safety of workers on the set of “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” when actor Dylan O’Brien was injured in March.”
Dylan O’Brien just returned to the set of Teen Wolf during the last week of September, and he is also at work on the set of American Assassin, but he has not returned to Maze Runner.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure will supposedly be filmed beginning in February of 2017 and is said to be coming out in 2018. There are rumors, though, that a lawsuit might be pending. That would be a logical conclusion considering WorkSafeBC’s statement and the extent of O’Brien’s injuries.
Is Dylan O’Brien suing 20th Century Fox? Is O’Brien still legally obligated to fulfill his contract to complete Maze Runner: The Death Cure? Does he want to?
Dylan O’Brien has finally resurfaced several months after his widely-publicized accident on the set of “Maze Runner 3: The Death Cure”. But does this mean that the “Teen Wolf” star has already resumed filming for the sequel? Or is the actor staying clear of the film for legal reasons?
People have been speculating about Dylan O’Brien’s current condition after he was injured while filming “Maze Runner 3”. So it was no surprise when everyone went nuts over a photo shared by a fan on Twitter. The image shows the “Teen Wolf” actor on his feet and smiling in a Jamba Juice in Sherman Oaks, California.
The picture confirms that, to the relief of his fans, Dylan O’Brien is recovering well after the “Maze Runner 3” accident. It also proves that the actor looks pretty good with a beard. Unfortunately, it might also verify that O’Brien has not filmed for “The Death Cure” or “Teen Wolf” since March.
Apparently the Dylan’s accident on the film’s set was due to the negligence of the production team of “The Scorch Trials“. The actor suffered injuries because of them mistake of the production staff and was dragged under a car on the sets. This led to several injuries on his body and face and the 24 year old actor’s casting in “Teen Wolf” became a matter of speculation.
The complete picture of what happened remains a mystery, but redacted documents from WorkSafeBC put the blame on the employer, Fox productions, for not rehearsing a stunt sequence properly. O’Brien was filming for the latest instalment of the dystopian sci-fi franchise on March 17 when the accident took place at the Cache Creek airport near Kamloops, B.C. He was apparently hit by a car and rushed to a hospital in Vancouver with serious injuries.
The complete picture of what happened remains a mystery, but redacted documents from WorkSafeBC put the blame on the employer, Fox productions, for not rehearsing a stunt sequence properly.
I just added the first and only movie still from Dylan’s movie The Death Cure where he plays Thomas I could find, it isn’t in the best quality ever, but I hope you guys like it! Please use the link below to check this picture out!
x001 Film Productions > The Death Cure (2017) > Movie Stills
Dylan was seriously injured on set [of The Death Cure movie] and that production had come to a screeching halt. No full details have ever been disclosed about the accident. But it is being reported today that the actor is healing well. And production on the 3rd and final Maze Runner movie should be back up and running this May.
While the accident hasn’t been disclosed to the public in full, Dylan O’Brien is said to have suffered a concussion, a facial fracture and several lacerations from a motorcycle stunt that went horribly wrong. Co-star Giancarlo Esposito, who can be seen in next weekend’s The Jungle Book and later in this summer’s Money Monster, spoke with E! Online about the on-set accident. He explains.
“He’s healing very well. He got put together a couple of weeks ago… he’s one tough cookie. He got his bell rung. I would imagine many who witnessed it thought that was it…[But] he’s a survivor. The one good thing about Dylan that I think is going to help him get back on schedule with us very soon is he has a great attitude.”
Dylan O’Brien was rushed to the hospital shortly after the accident occurred. Shooting was taking place in Vancouver, British Columbia. Production was suspended during the actor’s leave of absence, as he is the main star of the movie, and appears in most of the scenes in this final sequel to the Maze Runner trilogy. Shooting on the movie is expected to resume on May 15. Director Wes Ball, who has helmed all of the movies in this series, had this to say.
“I’ve been overwhelmed with feelings of anger and sadness and guilt. But, ultimately I find myself left with a deep love and respect for Dylan. He is one tough cookie. I’m sorry for the grief this accident has caused his friends and family as well as my wonderful cast and crew.”
The Maze Runner: The Death Cure is still scheduled for release on Feb. 17, 2017. At this time 20th Century Fox has not announced a new release date. It does not look like the accident has cost the film a loss in production time, and once everybody returns to set, everything should get back on schedule as planned. (Source)